Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 8 Svalbard islands of Spitsbergen and Nordaustlandt July 2, 2013

Today was spent with wet landings and hiking and walking. The two islands we visited, though close to each other, were very different from each other.

The first was lush and green with hills and steep trekking, and the later was desert and rocks and flat walking.

This was my first time using trekking poles - what a treat. It was cool on the first island and warm on the second - the red jackets come off. The terrain is very interesting as well as the views. The rocks on the second island were nice though hard to walk on. There is more to tell but I need my pictures and can't remember the phrases. Am writing this on afternoon July 3 and things have started to run together.  Need marbles!!!

Alma Quigley, my roommate, is so much fun. We laugh so much people can hear us and wonder what we find so funny. Every morning she tells me what I've talked about in my sleep. This morning is was about depleting my bank account and I must have been on the phone as she said I said "I'm still in the Arctic."

She doesn't snore or make any noise - the perfect roommate. We have a butler and a maid. Then there is the night butler and maid. We are living the life of Downton Abbey except for the ladies maid who dresses you.

Very frustrating not to be able to send email and put my blog together. I apologize for the long silence. Hope I can get back in touch once closer to Oslo and do plan to get this all out in Olso on our last night.  



Thanks for your patience. Love, J 

No comments:

Post a Comment